Friday, April 16, 2004

Yesterday I went into the Lexington office to pick up a package and visit with a few folks. It was just enough time. I worked with some great people, interesting, intelligent, nice. I didn't get to see everyone I liked, but I also shouldn't have stayed any longer than I did. I need to sustain these friendships, but it doesn't have to, and shouldn't have to, happen at the workplace. It's that workplace where I don't belong.

It's also been nearly a month since I've driven the Mass Pike and 128. It wasn't the culture shock that I'd expected. I quickly became just another Massachusetts driver.

Today Joe, a friend of ours who is an electrician, will come by to give us an estimate on some work. Most of the tasks are routine, but a couple might involve some design decisions. What's the best way, for example, to get overhead lighting into a first-floor room?

I've started re-reading the basic job search text - What Color is Your Parachute?. I think I last read it in the late 80's. It's a good resource, updated for the new tools and techniques of the 00's. The basics are the same, however: a life-changing job hunt. Make your job search and job goals fit your personality and skills. Distinguish yourself from the pack with persistent and innovative approaches to finding a job. See also the Job Hunter's Bible site as a supplement.

CDs hit the market in force about 20 years ago. Within three months of buying my first CD player, I stopped listening to LPs. Within a couple of years, I'd replaced most of my important LPs. We're now in a slushy period where online music is poised to replace CDs, but hasn't reached the tipping point for everyone. For example, I bought a CD the other day because I couldn't find the music online - Anonymous 4's American Angels. On Easter we listened Handel's Messiah from my iPod, so we're near the tipping point in this household.

The rain has stopped. The day dawns clear and cold.

No comments:

Blog Archive