Wednesday, April 14, 2004

A friend observes that a key to spiritual development is to appreciate that "it's not about me." I can remember more than a few occasions when I would talk with someone about my plan to be a better listener, only to leave the conversation without asking the other person a single question. Let's see how we can improve this. One way is to spend time with correspondence and personal contact that isn't related to my job search. I owe a couple of thank-you notes to family members. I'll get those into the mail today.

Yesterday's rains have swelled the rivers and streams. The National Weather Service predicts more rain today and has issued flood warnings for several rivers in southern New England. We have a small stream across the road. It's loud, but it's too small to put any houses in danger.

The online music collection is getting close to six days. David Byrne's Looking into the Eyeball was a nice rediscovery. I've also enjoyed music by Willie Nelson, Gillian Welch, Wynton Marsalis, and, of course, the Grateful Dead. (David Byrne made sure that we knew that the name of his old band was Talking Heads, not the Talking Heads.) Dunno about The Dead.

I didn't receive the call I'd expected from the agency yesterday. I did apply for a couple of jobs and have several more to investigate this morning. Today I will attend a networking meeting at DBM. The last one was pretty good. One of the other attendees had assembled a list of the venture capitalist firms in the Boston area so that we could see which companies had recently received funding. I have about three more months of services from DBM.

As I mentioned before, I am planning to run in a 5K fun run later this month. My goals are, pretty much in this order:

  1. Finishing
  2. Not finishing last
  3. Finishing ahead of someone older than me


Marley's gone back to sleep in front of the wood stove. He's snoring gently.


No comments:

Blog Archive