Monday, April 12, 2004

This is the first time that I've been out of work, not of my choosing, in about 25 years. It's been three weeks since my last day at IBM Rational . In that time I've had a couple of interviews, replied to many job postings, and rebuilt my personal network after several years of inattention. Now comes the acceptance. This is going to take some time. After eight or so years of 12-hour days, I have time. It's an unplanned break and an unplanned gift. So where do we go from here?

When the 12-hour days return, this journal will help us remember how I spent this time, how I used this gift.

A friend once remarked, "Don't tell me what you think. Tell me what you did."

To start, here's a list, in no particular order, of a few of the things that I've done since being out of work, in addition what the social workers call the ADLs (activities of daily living):

  • Updated our Queen Lake web site using JAlbum.
  • Babysat for our granddaughter Krista who was sick and home from school.
  • Use the various outplacement services at Drake, Beam, and Morin (DBM), provided by IBM.
  • Copied the first 50 of my CDs to my iPod. The iTunes software reports that I've stored about 2.5 days worth of music. I'm going to have to listen with both ears.
  • Read a story to granddaughter Lily before her afternoon nap.
  • Ran six miles on the indoor track at the Y in preparation for a 5K later this month.
  • Configured our new laptop and found several wireless hotspots in the area.
  • Learned that the local Sam's Club has too few checkout registers open on weekday, just like on weekends.
  • Unpacked the stuff from my work office into the home office. I think the room looks pretty tidy, but there are some differences of opinion on that.
  • Added a dozen people to my LinkedIn network.

    And what's ahead for this week?

  • Call an out-of-work electrician friend who can take care of a number of miscellaneous projects at home and at the camp.
  • Make arrangements with my brother-in-law to volunteer in his company's IT department. Many of my system administration skills are outdated. I'd like a chance to acquaint myself with 21st century operating systems, applications, and systems.
  • Meet some friends for coffee.
  • Split and stack wood for next season.
  • Take care of the errands that barely make it to the list of accomplishments, but are necessary for the well-being of the household and its occupants.

    More later.
    kh

    Oh, one more thing. About the title. Roaster Boy is a dark roasted blend available at the Kimball Farms' coffee shop.
  • No comments:

    Blog Archive