Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Let the record show: I got nothin'

New Federal Trade Commission guidelines (FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials) define how bloggers and others must declare their financial relationship with products or services that they review. The particulars of the guidelines are laid out in 81 luscious pages (PDF document) with annotations such as this:


Well, truth be told (and that's what this is all about), the guidelines aren't that onerous. It's pretty much this:
If you receive compensation from companies whose products or services you review, you must disclose that relationship. 
There is a lot of angst (The No-Fun Police target the blogosphere and Is the FTC being used to marginalize independent bloggers?, for example) in the blogosphere about all this and some of the discussion is insightful.
If there are to be rules, and that seems to be the core issue, then us body-temperature-IQ bloggers, however, need simple rules and I think we have them.
So, for all who care, believe me, I've received no compensation from anyone and that non-compensation has had no influence on any products or services that I've discussed in these journals.


2 comments:

Lori said...

I work with a lot of beauty bloggers, providing product for review, and the whole Twittersphere has been up in arms about this. I understand that when a company pays a blogger to write about something, it makes sense to have a disclaimer, but in the world of beauty, they usually have to try it to write about it. I'm all for disclosure, but it seems a bit much to expect a disclosure statement on every post, rather than just a blanket statement somewhere on/near the homepage. As both a blogger and a beauty publicist, I'm fascinated by the conversation.

Jeff Barnard said...

I wonder if the same type of disclosures could be forced from politicians.

Blog Archive