Monday, January 10, 2005

Today I will try to return to work. As is typical of returning from time off, today I'll focus on getting caught up with email and trying to figure out where I was when I left. I'm not sure where I stand with regard to the next round of deadlines. I worked on our bills last night. While we're a long way from destitute, losing those days of work last week will have an impact. I'm not going to try to work extra hours, though, until I'm sure I'm restored to good health.

Sandra and I got out of the house for a while yesterday afternoon. Sandra's been very patient during this protracted illness and needed a break. We visited with my father and then went out for a mid-day meal. The change of scenery was good. The countryside, covered in snow, is New England at its best.

We have a house rule that, if anything goes into the attic, something must come out. So, to make room for a couple boxes of my stuff, I brought down a crate that contained papers from college and that brief, crash-and-burn semester in graduate school, notes and drafts of short stories, outlines for magazine articles and research projects. None of the material was less than 20 years old and almost none of it was worth saving. (Anyone care for a $4.40 excise tax bill on a 1969 Plymouth Valiant?) There was an article that I wrote on hitchhiking from an alternative newspaper way back when. Rejection letters from publishers filled several Pendaflex® folders.

My papers from elementary school were a bit more interesting. You woudn't expect much humility from a 9th grader's autobiography and that's just what you'd get.

Yesterday's Boston Globe was its semi-annual Big Help edition. The paper runs a special promoion with their business customers and fills up the help wanted section. I've not had great luck with job leads in newspapers, but should make the effort. Sandra has a sewing class tonight, so I'll have a chance to review the ads. I should also have a conversation with my current manager about a contract extension. The current contract runs through the end of the month.

No comments:

Blog Archive