Tuesday, April 20, 2004

We stood at the finish line for a couple of hours, watching the marathon runners as they ran, walked, stumbled home. I was very emotional. We stayed until nearly six o'clock. We've posted a few pictures, including one of Sandra's co-worker, Scott, here.

Will I run a marathon some day? I'd like to think so. To get a number for Boston, I'd have to raise money for Abby's House, the central Mass. veteran's shelter, Audio Journal, or other charity. More important than getting a number, of course, is getting in shape. There are a lot of good resources for training (and friends who are eager to share their experiences), so it remains for me to find the clarity and focus needed to follow the regimen. Ask me again this time next year. The gray-haired heads in yesterday's marathon pack are certainly an inspriation.

The Red Sox beat the Yankees in extra innings.

Before the race, we visited another of Sandra's co-workers who lives in the Back Bay. Lovely condo in an old building where Julia Ward Howe lived 100 years ago. Sandra and I have often thought it would be nice to live in a city for a while during our retirement, being able to walk to cultural events, restaurants, libraries, and, for those who care for such things, museums. A place such as this would be a bit dear, at close to twice what we'd get for our current house.

So, after a weekend of family, friends, and festivities, it's back to the more mundane chores - searching for a job, paying the bills, and making some chili for supper. I have a roster of follow-up calls and emails for the day. Mid-day I'll go to the Audio Journal for orientation.

No comments:

Blog Archive