Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Focused More-On: Procrastination

[One of a occasional series. A bunch of years ago, I worked for a software company. It was hard work for long hours. At one point, senior management made the pronouncement that the development team needed to focus more on a particular aspect of the product. The QA manager and I agreed that we'd Focused More-ons.]

Our neighbor, 15 or more years my senior, is pushing a wheelbarrow full of firewood across our back yard. It's firewood that's too large for our stove, but can be used in his. Embarrassed, I'm inside because I have a couple of cuts on my feet and so can't walk well, let alone work at the wood pile. (I thought that feet, once called "dinosaur feet" by our grandson, were indestructible. Not so.)
I have plenty to do from my desk, projects that require attention today and other things to schedule for the coming weeks.
While reviewing my scheduled tasks, I found myself wondering if I'll be walking ok by then. I'm sure that I'll be fine in a couple of days, so it's odd that I should be projecting my current limitation into the future.
Usually, we think that our future selves will be better, smarter, more energetic, more focused. That's one of the reasons that so many things get push off of today's list and onto tomorrow's (or worse, onto someday's). I can't figure that thing out today, but my tomorrow self will surely get it done.
Now, though, my future self doesn't look so strong. With my feet on the desk, facing away from the window so I don't have to watch our neighbor, I have already completed several of today's tasks.
Just when I thought I had this procrastination thing figured out, it turns itself inside out.
There's no shortage of advice on the matter of procrastination. There's a whole industry around Getting Things Done® and (GTD®)  (Yes, the phrase[1] and the abbreviation[2] are registered trademarks.) This is something slightly different. I need to plan things for next week and the week after because that's when other people are available.
This is different because the condition (my deflicted foot) is something new. I haven't had time to learn a new narrative for my future self. As a result, the future looks a lot more like the present than it ordinarily would. Once the injury either goes away or become permanent, I can resume my usual pattern of freely delegating work to the person I think I will be next Thursday.
n.b. I spent 45 minutes writing about procrastination.

No comments:

Blog Archive