Thursday, January 07, 2010

Over the horizon


On Monday, Michael Danciger [1] died of cancer. Michael was the husband of Sandra's lifelong friend, Janet.
A short while ago, Michael sent out the 24th installment of his journal that chronicled his physical journey through illness and treatment and also his mental and spiritual journey to a place that, well, let's let him say it.
Since the last time I wrote, two very important things have happened. One, I lost my vision in both eyes. Second, the cancer has progressed and my chest is full of cancer. The cancer doesn’t hurt except for shortness of breath and bouts of coughing. I was having so much trouble breathing I was in the hospital for a week with chest tubes and oxygen.
Since this has occurred and especially more recently, I’ve discovered how much love there is in my life – not only in my life but in everyone’s life…..all you have to do is open your heart and you feel it as palpable as a physical body and that feeling is available to everyone. It is more available than we think. It’s a matter of a small shift in attitude and a belief that things can change.
Now I am on a new regime of medication that seems to be working well but we don’t know how long it will last.
I am at home and getting really good care from my family and friends and medical staff. Since this may be my last installment, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for staying with me for the past 19 months.
With love and respect,
Michael.
To Janet, Jeffrey, and Meryl - you carried Michael across a tough portage. Let's hope that your friends and family can carry you for a while so you can get some rest.

1 comment:

Sandra Hakkarainen said...

Thank you for this great tribute.

Blog Archive