Tuesday, November 17, 2009

More on blogging

According to a number of folks who blog about blogging, it's our fault. "Bloggers have undermined the blogosphere."
Or, maybe, it's your fault - "You all are not clicking on the links like you used to."
In any event, it's changed.
For the worse?
"blogging has changed, but the blogging scene is in some ways in better shape than it was three years ago."
Want to know why? According to a poll conducted by smart people, Measuring Engagement of the Social Web: ‘07-’09 | PostRank Blog:

  • you (we) are responding to more content later: 
  • distribution of content is becoming truly distributed.
  • the weak ties that everyone brings are helping the content to travel further and over longer periods of time
Further, we learn, "there has been a decline in hat tipping." We should be linking to other bloggers, calling out their good works, and building a spirit of community.
So, reflecting on all of that, I think I understand how this blogging thing is supposed to work:
First, I read a few local bloggers:
Then, I add my own notes:
  • I support a primary seat belt law because I believe that seat belts are an important safety feature in all modern cars. 
  • My experience has been that, while wearing a seat belt, I'm better able to avoid accidents. This has happened on several occasions, where I needed to swerve to avoid a collision. My seat belt kept me in my seat, such that I could keep control of the car.
  • Of course, Massachusetts drivers, who wear their bad driving habits as badges of honor, insist on their right to put the rest of in danger because they want to do something stupid.
  • [Disclaimer: my son is a sergeant in the Massachusetts State Police. My views do not necessarily reflect his or that of the State Police.]
Then, we add another link, Dee's Worcester Is MAJOR!™: Cellphone: Banned While Driving in MA! When?.
And, close with a quip:
The car in front of us was a Honda hybrid, the kind of car you'd expect to see while driving through Northampton. We followed this car for several miles, from one side of the city to other, until it finally turned off at a side road in Leeds. "That driver set a good example for saving energy," I said to my wife. "They conserved electricity by not using their directionals once."
And a link to a funny picture:

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Karl --
I almost put the following disclaimers on my blog post:
(1) I always wear my seatbelt, even when I back the car out of the driveway to park it on the street
(2) my father-in-law is a retired police officer

I swerve libertarian, so I don't support a primary-enforcement law, but -- even if I did -- I think that Click It or Ticket puts police officers in a tough spot. They HAVE to ticket people, and because we're not a primary enforcement state, they HAVE to be nitpicky about the traffic offenses for which they will ticket. I don't think most officers went into law enforcement to do Click It or Ticket traffic stops, but they have to, because their department can get a significant amount of funding from it.

Anonymous said...

eh. thanks for thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Blog Archive