Wednesday, October 28, 2009

This is a blog about work

I had a moment to look at my reflection in the stainless steel doors of the elevator. "This is a guy who has a job," I said to myself.
There were and are plenty of other details that jumped the queue - is a dual-boot Windows/Linux configuration is better than setting up virtual machines[1], is IE6 causing that display problem on the client's system?, do I have a blank engineering notebook?, are there any good Flash decomplilers?, what's for supper?, what am I not going to do now that I have paid work to do?
The way that I found this job is interesting as well. I've subscribed to a particular email list for something like 20 years. This list, managed by a former DECcie, posts occasional technical writing jobs along with various questions regarding tech doc work. Last Wednesday afternoon, this job showed up on the list. The description included several topics that I'd recently been discussing with some friends.
So, I replied with a brief cover note and a copy of my resume. The next day, the hiring manager called me. We talked on the phone for 45 minutes. I had a few quick answers that could help out immediately and planned to have a couple more resolved by the time that we would meet in person. Yesterday, the manager and I met. It was a good match. We liked each other and had plenty to talk about, on and off topic. I offered my references, but she said that she was convinced that I knew my stuff and could help.


Just like that. I have work to do. It sounds like fun.

[1]The CPU on my 64-bit laptop doesn't support 64-bit virtual images, so the only way to have a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 on my laptop is to install it in a dual-boot configuration.

No comments:

Blog Archive