Monday, May 04, 2009

That's why they call it work

In the mid-90s, I had a three-month technical writing contract at an automobile parts manufacturing company. My job was to document the company's procedures so that they could meet the requirements of ISO 9000 registration. As defined on the ISO 9000 web site, "The ISO 9000 family of standards represents an international consensus on good quality management practices."
Dilbert provided a more succinct definition of ISO 9000 as a set of big honkin' binders: 

Dilbert.com

Anyway, I worked in a building that had offices in front, a large manufacturing area, and then another set of offices built along the back wall. Various management and administrative types worked in that back office area. The manufacturing area was hot, even in winter. (My contract ended in May, so I didn't get to work there in the summer.)
What I did see, however, was a set of wall-mounted air conditioners for the back office. The air conditioners blew the hot exhaust out to the factory floor. The white-collar workers stayed cool and what's a few extra BTUs for the grunts working the machines?
I remember that setting every day I go to work. I may work hard, but what I do isn't hard work.
There are just a couple of things I'd like add to Jeff's post regarding Dianne Williamson's Sunday column:

  1. Rule #1 of blogging, Twittering, or, pretty much any kind of writing other than writing about food is NOCWYHFL - No One Cares What You Had for Lunch. (Friend eba writes NOCWYHFD, a nifty blog about vegetarian dinners by and for busy working couples.)
  2. Similarly, writing about writing is rarely interesting. 
By the way, during the succeeding years, most of the work at that manufacturing plants has moved away and area workers have lost their jobs.

No comments:

Blog Archive