Wednesday, August 20, 2008

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

There's almost always something we need a lot of - dog food, paper towels, bird seed, coffee filters - so I usually make a trip to one of the warehouse clubs each week. (When Sandra asks that I add something to the shopping list, she'll usually specify "a small package," lest I come home with a four-year supply of scouring pads.)
Invariably, I'll pick up fruits, veggies, milk, and meat (sorry, eba) while I'm at the really big-box store. The quality and prices are very good.
So, one day, as I'm heading out the door with my order that included a five-pound bag of whole carrots, the guy checking my receipt said, "Carrots are a lot better for you when they're cooked." I nodded, but didn't comment. Who knew that the check-out guy was getting his nutritional information from Slashdot? It turns out that eating cooked foods may have led to an important acceleration of human brain development. The cooking process breaks down hard-to-digest cell walls, particularly in vegetables, allowing us to get the more nutrients faster and providing more calories for our brains.

2 comments:

eba said...

Wow. Any idea of what to do with five pounds of carrots? We sure are getting a lot of them from the farm this summer.

Karl Hakkarainen said...

My preference is to peel, cut, and eat 'em.

Blog Archive