Monday, April 07, 2008

A year of traveling from the world of work

It's been a year since I left my job, a string of days that got us from there to here. There's no doubt in my mind (and reported by those around me) that I'm doing a lot better now. The improvements come from many channels - love and support of my family, aggressive medical treatments (ECT, meds, and a hospital stay), therapy, and lifestyle changes. The numbers tell an interesting story. As they tell you in business presentations, good charts move up and to the right. Up and to the right it goes, but with sharp peaks and valleys, each with a story.

What's ahead? Dunno. Living a day at a time is a wonderful way to live. Often, though, it narrows the focus to just that block of 24 hours, making it to envision life beyond the day. The Red Sox have their home opener tomorrow. The guy from Sears will be coming here to fix our refrigerator's freezer (again). That's plenty of future thinking for me for now.

About 10 years, I worked for a small group that had produced the company's new flagship product in a year. As we reviewed the year, the development director asked us to describe our major accomplishments. "We're still standing," I said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congradulations on still standing after the past year. And for creating an enjoyable blog that I love to read in the process. We're all out here in Cyber Space as well to offer support if you need it!
-Suz

Blog Archive