Wednesday, April 09, 2008

RB-3, Home Network-2

We now have three computers connected to our home wireless network, one each of Win2k, XP, and Vista. For all the troubles that people have reported, the Vista system was the best behaved when it came to connecting to the new configuration. The Win2k system was the most trouble, starting with lack of support for the higher encryption services available on the router and for later operating systems.

One of the things about working in a corporate IT environment is that, for the most, 'things just work.' You connect a new system to the network and both the system and the network know what to do; in a matter of moments, you're working. At home, particularly when you get a message like this, it can be a long day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My response to windows when it gives me that screen is "WTF? I'M THE NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR!!!!"

Then, depending on the # of times I get the error message, I sometimes throw things or threaten my monitor with a flight out the window. Never happens but makes me feel better.

Congrats on getting networked!

Blog Archive