Sunday, April 06, 2008

Dental Dept., redux

In the continuing discussion with friend eba regarding teeth, I discovered that one of my crowns has developed a fault line. I have a previously scheduled appointment with my dentist later this month; we'll decide at that point whether he'll be able to get the new navigation system on his boat this year or not.

The father of a friend of my father went to the dentist and learned that he'd need dentures. In order to get the denture, all of the guy's remaining teeth would have to be pulled. This was in the 1930s or so (as the story goes) and would have cost perhaps two hundred bucks. That seemed like a lot to the old Finn. So, he went home, got a bottle of whiskey, a pair of pliers, and a bucket. He'd take a swig of whiskey, pull a tooth, and spit the blood into the bucket. By the end of the day, he'd pulled all of his teeth.

This news story from the UK shows that DIY dentistry is still going on.

1 comment:

eba said...

I hope the dentist is able to patch up the fault line. Perhaps you'll buy him a simple "hand-held" GPS device rather than one with NORAD capabilities.

Blog Archive