Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hey, there's a trunk in my engine.

So, I'm wandering around the net and I see that some guy has posted his Nerd Score on his web page. This might be fun, I say to myself, so I take the quiz.

I am nerdier than 98% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!

I work with nerds all day long and I certainly wouldn't rate myself this highly in comparison. Maybe I do know what to do with compressed air, that I take notes in more than one color, that I used telnet daily. I'll bet that there are lots of high school sophomore who do the same.

Something there is that doesn't love a wall...or a stack of wood. We went to the camp yesterday and discovered that the stack of wood at the end of the wood shed had tumbled to the ground. This after another, smaller stack had partially fallen about a month ago. The wood at the camp is cut shorter, about 12", and so isn't as stable when stacked. Nevertheless, everyone's susceptible. My father lost a part of his stack when the sun warmed the frozen ground and caused everything to shift. It happens and it's not a moral issue, much.

There's a small, spring-fed pool by the side of the camp road. The pool was full when the freeze came earlier in the winter and about 3" of ice former. Over the dry winter, the water below seeped back into the ground, eventually leaving the ice to collapse into the dry hole.

My father doesn't wear his hearing aids when he's at home alone so he can save the batteries. Sandra and I have a bit of gentle fun as we wonder how long it will be until he gets his gear into his ears. Usually, it's five to 10 minutes. Yesterday it was 35. It isn't an official visit with one's parents unless you are talking to yourself as you leave.

I was walking from my hotel to the office in White Plains last week when a new Volkswagen Beetle pulled into a parking space. The driver got out, open the rear hood, and took something from the trunk. "That's just wrong," I said to myself. The engine's supposed to be back there with the trunk in the front. The first VW that I saw in person was owned by a family friend, Kaija, in 1957 or '58. I called it the "backwards-frontwards" car.

Dang. We missed Spamarama.

In this article, Dave Eggers explains why nearly every kid in America plays soccer until age 10. After that, they'll do almost anything else. (Which is why ESPN is thinking about broadcasting domino matches.)

In less than two weeks, western Christians will celebrate Easter. (The eastern churches observed the holiday a week later. More about that here with the math that lets you calculate the days yourself.) It's time to think about those traditional meals, such as cooking with Peeps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you missed it, but I was there - at SPAMARAMA 2006.

Check out my blog post here:

http://austinmash.com/blog/lining-up-for-spam/

Blog Archive