Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Change is the new normal

Our neighbor is in Florida this week, visiting family. She has MS and has been house-bound for as long as we've lived here. This is her first trip away from home.

Another neighbor has put her home up for sale. She moved in with her son several months ago after falling often. The ambulance was regularly visiting her house. Increasingly she was needing help maintaining her house. Her husband died 20 or so years ago.

I read in the trade journals that a couple of executives from IBM Rational have moved on.

Over the weekend we watched The Anchorman. I thought that it was an entirely forgettable movie, but I was mistaken. One scene has the male performers singing that annoying 70s song, Afternoon Delight, albeit in pretty good harmony. (The song showed up in a Simpsons episode as well.) So, now, I have that song stuck in my head. Given that we have a limited number of thoughts for a lifetime, I wonder what I won't be able to think about when the time comes. Oops, there goes another one.

Not only that, but it's only going to get worse. Some hacker has found a way to store songs on an RFID tag, such that when you move the chip near a reader, the song plays. (The telling comment is "the application is best explained by reading the sourcecode.")

Today's automated job search for a technical documentation position produced listings for a Senior Executive Secretary and Executive Secretary. Oh, but I also received an email informing me that I've won ZAR 18,000,000 in the South African lottery (about $3M). Opportunities on all fronts.

No comments:

Blog Archive