Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Tonight we will attend a Society for Technical Communications dinner where Sandra will receive an award for a technical document that she wrote. Several of Sandra's co-workers will also attend. We'll also likely see colleagues from previous work lives as well. Amid the awkwardness that can intrude on social settings, we can steady ourselves by remembering that the purpose of the night is to recognize Sandra's good work.

Yesterday afternoon, I nearly broke the operating system on my work computer. It's a long and somewhat lame tale with a somewhat happy ending. I learned things to do, not to do, and to do better. Hint: back up your registry. Hint: if you don't want to get any real work done for an afternoon, delete the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe registry key.

I know how serious Repetitive Stress Injury and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be. I'm familiar with the burning pain in the wrists. All the same, the idea of spending sixty bucks for a program that tells me when I need to take a break is, um, well, let's just say that Thoreau saw it coming.

Another important thing that my grandmother knew, even though she didn't know it. Every afternoon, I'd get off of the school bus and go next door to my grandparents' house for coffee and pastries.

Although this article features something nice for a couple of very cute cats, the nerdity quotient is off the charts.

Happy Birthday, Jennie
Happy Birthday, Val
Happy Birthday, HSH

No comments:

Blog Archive