Thursday, February 03, 2005

By 8:00 yesterday morning, I had to turn to Plan B. (For those who care about such things, I ran into a couple of bugs in FrameMaker and DzBatch that would, under normal circumstances, be just annoyances. For me, they were showstoppers. I couldn't afford to spend any more tome on the problems, at least not yesterday.) I worked very hard and had three of the four books ready for review at day's end. My boss only stopped by my office once to see if I was going to be done on time. The fourth book is still a problem, but I have one more approach to try this morning. Plan B for this one isn't as clear.

Once I get the last book ready, I'm going to take a few hours to regroup. I think that it was worth the risk to try something new. I'm sure that I can salvage a good bit of what I've done, even if the full solution didn't work as planned. I also know, however, that I made things more difficult for myself. One of the hardest things in life and work is knowing when to keep working on a hard problem and when to bail.

After Tuesday's lab tests, today it's time to be ...inspected, detected.... (with four-part harmony and stuff). My appointment is at 7:00, so my work day won't start too late.

I don't know if this book would have helped me when I was crawling through high school, but the suggestion, "Don't take yourself too seriously." is always in order.

No comments:

Blog Archive