Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Although the critter in Pennsylvania is getting all the attention today, the celebration on February 2 goes back much further. Hedgehog Day became Groundhog Day when European settlers discovered that there are no native hedgehogs on this side of the pond. (You can get next year's Hedgehog Day stationery here.)

"Section. 3. [The president] shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union...." George Washington gave his first State of the Union address in person, but Jefferson and many other presidents sent letters instead.

I may have been too clever at work. I was trying to do some innovative things with my project and they're not coming together. I will give myself two hours this morning and if things don't work as required, I'll have to go to Plan B. Plan B isn't pretty, but it has a better chance for success. I have to have four books out for review today.

Which is probably why I am awake very early today. I rarely have trouble falling asleep. For example, watching Nova last night knocked me out cold. Waking early, though, is part of a familiar pattern.

Yesterday my boss sent a note to say that that I should plan to sign up for a course on Microsoft Exchange that's offered within the company in late March. I was bouyed by that. For one thing, it will be good to get some training. For another, it shows some confidence that I'll be around for a while. I doubt that they'd train me in new material and then send me packing a month later.

No comments:

Blog Archive