Wednesday, July 14, 2004

In conversations with my new co-workers and others, I'm finding that a lot of people were out of work for a long time, a year and more. Theirs is the tone of shipwreck survivors, glad to be on the beach, any beach, away from the waves and the sharks.

Two players from the Red Sox, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, hit two-run homers in last night's all-star game. Now, if the Sox can pull off the trade for Randy Johnson, life would be really good. RJ is grandson Joe's favorite player.

Yesterday was a quiet day at work, spent reading and taking care of administrative tasks. I'll meet a couple more people today, including the leader of my project.

It's not as easy to read and send my personal email from work. I like to keep personal email separate from work stuff. I use a web-based email reader that isn't as elegant as the stand-alone email programs such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, and others. There's a nifty web-based service at Oddpost.com. I've used them before and may do so again.

I went grocery shopping on the way home yesterday. That's another adjustment resulting from my return to work, tending to the household chores. I'd been shopping, washing clothes, going to the post office, feeding the birds, and such during the day when the crowds are smaller. Some things will now be done at different times and probably a few things won't get done at all.

We've embarked on a new season of socializing at the camp. It started with having our grandsons stay overnight on the 4th. We had company last weekend and will again this weekend. It makes us look at the place differently, trying to make it more welcoming to visitors. Sandra painted a couple of signs that we hung on trees along the dirt road. We're also learning to cook differently, using the little gas stove and the outdoor grill.

So, as we approach the middle of the work week, my mood is good. I'm still a bit nervous about having to do real work, but believe that it'll be ok. I'll talk more with the people who were out of work a long time to find out how they made the transition.

No comments:

Blog Archive