Saturday, June 12, 2004

We watched nearly all of the services for Ronald Reagan yesterday. Most compelling was the way that a republic such as ours could stage such a moment of high ceremony. The events, we know, were planned years, perhaps even decades in advance. They told a forceful story in the context of the nation's best ideals - optimism, leadership, and affability. The funeral told the story that it wanted to tell and told it well. Whether that was the real story of Reagan's presidency and legacy or not is left to a discussion on another day.

We're in a clear and somewhat cool stretch, New England's best June weather in my opinion. In spite of the great weather, I've been in a funk. Alternately bored and anxious, I then get annoyed with myself for not making better use of this wonderful time. The coming week has a few things, such as MFH’s piano recital, my return to the Audio Journal on Tuesday, and a trip to the Cape next weekend that might break the routine. I also have a couple of job-hunting calls scheduled for Monday. I pulled a muscle in my right leg a couple of days ago and can’t run; that hasn’t helped. So, the goal for the coming week is to break the funk by doing different things and doing things differently.

I am able to fit into a pair of jeans, albeit snugly, for the first time in a while. I’ve been on some medication to help me with my insomnia. The earlier stuff had the side effect of increasing my appetite. The doctor changed the meds a couple of months ago and the difference in my appetite is noticeable. I’ve lost about 15 pounds. My sleep is ok. I’m still likely to wake during the night or very early in the morning. If I wake during the night, I listen to the BBC news (rebroadcast on a local NPR station). If I wake around 4AM, I just get up.

Molly is stalking a bird at the bird feeder. She hasn’t caught one yet. She did catch a red squirrel the other day. In another journal entry, I’ll catalog the birds at the feeder. We have a nice gathering.

We’ll go to the camp mid-morning. Sandra’s hoping to get a ride in my father’s sailboat today.

No comments:

Blog Archive