Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Amid the sunflowers.

Our wireless network lets me write from the back deck. We have sunflower plants growing near the bird feeders. Marley is snoozing in the warm sunshine. Adam recently reminded me that, when Sandra was out of work, she wrote a newsletter called News from The Front Porch. It will be fun to see if we can locate a copy.

The weather forecast calls for a hot day today and even hotter tomorrow. I'll do my running in the early morning tomorrow. I did the 3.4 mile loop this morning, up Chapel to Malden and then Main. It's a nice path, although the traffic gets a bit close in the places where there are no sidewalks. The fragrances are wonderful this time of year. I have a Running playlist on my iPod, tunes that have a good beat - Sing, Sing, Sing by Benny Goodman; the theme from Jack Johnson by Miles Davis; several tunes from Paul Butterfield. I don't try to keep to the rhythm, but it helps to have a good soundtrack.

I have a telephone interview for a consulting job this afternoon. I am hoping to get a job description this morning to help me in my preparations. I've changed my approach on applying for jobs. When I see or hear of an opening, I prepare the cover letter and then wait at least an hour before reviewing and sending it. I've discovered on a few occasions that, in my excitement and haste, I've made silly mistakes in some letters. The old saw, you don't get another chance to make a first impression, is never more important than in job hunting. By taking the extra time, I can review my materials more carefully.

RoasterBoy has changed his coffee. We've been buying our coffee from Equal Exchange for several years. Until the last order, I've been getting Cafe Nica, a medium roast Nicaraguan coffee. (Sandra gets French Roast.) They didn't have the Cafe Nica the last time that I placed my order so I tried their Moka Java blend. It's darker than the Cafe Nica with a bit more acidity, common among African coffees. I like it better.

A couple of yellowjackets found me interesting, but didn't stay long.

Apple has come out with a new toy, Airport Express. It would allow us to set up a wireless printer. It would also allow us to stream music from this computer to a set of powered speakers or through our stereo. I will add it to the "When Karl Gets A Job" wish list. As you might expect, the WKGAJ list is lengthy.

No comments:

Blog Archive