Thursday, February 09, 2012

Problems copying and pasting HTML links in Chrome browser

The release of Chrome beta for Android has led to, once again, try to use Google Chrome as my preferred web browser. It's fast, secure, and has a number of slick features that make it an enjoyable resource.

The biggest problem that I've had, and one that continues, is the way in which it handles copying and/or pasting of HTML and other rich text elements. Lemme explain:

When I am writing a blog post, I often need to link to other stories or sites. The Make Link extension for Firefox allows me to copy the page address and either selected text or the page's title. I can then paste it into my blog editor.

For example, if I want to include a link to a story on The Onion, I go to the page, use Make Link to grab the title and URL, come back to this window, and paste it so it looks like this: New Biography Reveals Einstein Devised Theory Of Relativity On Paper Because He Wasn't Smart Enough To Invent Microsoft Word | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Doing the same thing  with a comparable extension, such as Create Link, in Chrome results in this:  

<a href="http://www.theonion.com/articles/new-biography-reveals-einstein-devised-theory-of-r,27313/">New Biography Reveals Einstein Devised Theory Of Relativity On Paper Because He Wasn&apos;t Smart Enough To Invent Microsoft Word | The Onion - America&apos;s Finest News Source</a>

When I use a clipboard viewer, I can see that sometimes the info is created as an HTML fragment and, other times, it's just text. I'm not sure why Create Link or similar extensions aren't creating true HTML links.

Chrome on Android, I should note, is an excellent replacement for the stock browser on my phone.

No comments:

Blog Archive