Thursday, November 10, 2011

November is the February of autumn

We now have more leaves than snow in the yard. Not all of the leaves are down yet. This season is running about two weeks late, not influenced by that freakish storm on Halloween weekend.

On this foggy morning, the Moses bushes in front of the house are bright. I wouldn't have noticed had I put out the trash last night. We're not apt to look at the font of the house except when we're coming or going and then we're often in a hurry. This morning, though, I had a moment.

This looks to be a typical day, meaning that there's nothing routine about it. After a reviewing the overnight news, I will take a look at a problem that one customer is having with QuickBooks and online banking. Then, I'm off to MWCC to talk with the very nice webmaster about work on new web, Facebook, and LinkedIn services for the alumni. Next will be a meeting with one of the professors and perhaps an administrator or two to see how we can integrate Twitter with Blackboard for an online course. I'm trying to rouse someone in marketing at a company so I can finish a blog post about them. I have a couple of other news stories in various states of unreadiess. You get the idea.

It's easy to lose track of details. Many of my contemporaries are complaining about age-related memory loss. I'm not ready to give in to that narrative yet. There are plenty of reasons to forget things. For example, this article, BPS Research Digest: How walking through a doorway increases forgetting, shows that going from one room to another resets our memory because our context shifts to the new place. There's no correlation with age or other condition; it just happens. If we're expecting events to be attributed to a cause, be it sugar-induced hyperactivity or the effect of the full moon, we'll regularly find events that fit our expectations. (We'll also discard, minimize, or explain away things that don't fit those patterns.)

I forget stuff, but I've always done so. Nothing new here, meaning that nothing's the same.

No comments:

Blog Archive