Wednesday, September 15, 2010

From the Roman Hruska "Regressing to the Mean" files

Delaware Republican senatorial candidate Christine O'Donnell did not receive the degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University because she'd not paid her tuition. A cached copy of her campaign web site states: In 1993, I participated in my school’s Cap and Gown ceremony. Yet, the “diploma” in my hand was actually a bursar’s bill for outstanding tuition payments. (The current version of the web site, Christine O'Donnell for U.S. Senate — Fighting For The First State, has no content behind it, except for a link for donations.)
The difficulty that she had with her tuition and student loan loan have become a virtue.
“It took me 12 years to pay off my college degree, my college loans,” she said. “I’m not a trust-fund baby. Most Delawareans can relate to having to work hard to pay for their college education. I was never dishonest about that.”
It reminds me of Sarah Palin's defense of Bristol Palin's out-of-wedlock sexual activity and child-birth as strong pro-life statement.


Senator Roman Hruska, R-Nebraska, in defense of accusations against Supreme Court nominee Harold Carswell that Carswell was a mediocre intellect, famously said, "Even if he is mediocre there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises, Cardozos, and Frankfurters, and stuff like that there." --  http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Nominations.htm

No comments:

Blog Archive