Friday, July 30, 2010

Whistling past the newspaper

The recent obits have showed several people in my age cohort. I didn't know any of them this time. I did know one other fellow, several years older than me, but still young enough.
I've attended a lot of funerals for folks my age and younger. Most died at these early ages because of booze or drugs or related causes. Some had been to Vietnam and brought home physical and psychic poisons.
These recent passages, however, seemed to just folks who died on this side of the median age, brought down by ordinary diseases.
I don't think about death often or for very long when I do. Sometimes, though, the news reminds us (me) that we each get one, that it'll come at an inconvenient time, and that others will be left to learn the lessons from our lives.

1 comment:

eba said...

Good thoughts, Karl, and wise and provocative as usual. In my late 30s and early 40s, friends my age and younger were dropping dead - a very sad time. Right now, family members in my parents' generation are ailing; I expect to attend at least one funeral soon, perhaps next week.

Each of these departures can serve as a good reminder - yes, the bell will toll for me and thee before long. And yes, we have some opportunities now to do what (as Mr. Keillor would say) needs to be done.

Blessings.

Blog Archive