Wednesday, April 21, 2010

His name is Henry

For a couple of weeks, the weather was bad. (Remember all of that rain?) So, today, on this fine spring day, I was glad to see him. I took a moment to ask him his name and give him mine.
We didn't talk long. I could sense that the traffic behind me was getting impatient. The light had changed to green and folks were in a hurry because it was a nice day and all.
Each week, I pick up a supply of surplus bread from the Big Y in Holden and bring it to our Joseph's Project office. Other folks on the Project package what they need and make deliveries to our families. I bring what's left to Genesis Club where it's used for their lunch program and in their snack bar.
I'd seen this guy on the streets for a while. He has a sign that says that he's homeless and looking for money. I stopped one day and asked if he'd like some bread. He did. I told him to look in the back of my car and take something that he wanted. He took a loaf of bread and a package of cookies.
Since then, I've tried to make time to stop. Some days, I'm busy and can't get to where he hangs out. As I mentioned, some days, the weather is bad and he's not there.
Today, though, the weather was good. He took some extra bread, things that he can take with him to wherever he goes for the night.
"How are things going?" I asked him.
"Better now," he said.
After I left, I went up the street a ways, made a U-turn and headed toward my home. I saw him off to the side of the road, eating urgently.
I know his name now and it's a lot harder not to stop.

2 comments:

Pink Granite said...

Thank you.

Tracy Novick said...

You're right.

Blog Archive