Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Pirate radio stations in Worcester

No, not that kind.
When riding around the city today, I picked up a couple of radio stations that are not listed in the radio-locator.com database for licensed full-power radio stations. (There are 71 radio stations that may be within distant listening range of Worcester, Massachusetts. (42° 16' 08" N, 71° 48' 14" W)).
102.9
This is a new one for me. The broadcast that I heard earlier today included an extended bit of west African music, but with a lot of background talking. Then, at the top of hour (9AM), it mentioned something about "94.7FM talk." At first, I thought it might be a rebroadcast of Asempa 94.7FM. I've not been able to sync the online stream with what's coming over the air, so I can't confirm. radio-locator.com lists this frequency as unused:
105.5
These folks, Flava 105.5 - FM, have been around for a while. Their format is reggae/Caribbean, with some pretty wild preaching on Sunday. The signal is ok around the city and, almost as if there was a wire fence, drops off completely at the city line on the north and east. 105.5 is located in Easthampton and is a rebroadcaster of Boston's WEEI.
A check of Scan New England shows some mention of both broadcast frequencies, but not a lot of detail. I welcome any further information.

No comments:

Blog Archive