Wednesday, July 15, 2009

One night in April 1968

On April 15, 1968, late at night, I was spinning the dial of my even-then ancient FM tuner (one with tubes and no cover because I needed to get at the wiring) and found a station that was playing the album cut of The Doors' Light My Fire. Other stations at the time were playing a badly-edited single.
The next song, East-West from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, was, and I don't fear exaggeration here, life-changing. (That song and that band is within three degrees of separation of all of the music that was and is important to me.)
The disc jockey was Mississippi Harold Wilson. The station was WBCN. I listened as urgently as a thirsty man would go face-first into a river.  For all I know, that old tuner is in the Westminster dump, set on 104.1.
More than 40 years later, 'bcn is still on one of the buttons on my car radio, but it's been quite a while since I listened regularly. We all got older and all tried to stay young, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Around the time of Nirvana or maybe it was Green Day, the music was, well, boring, and the disc jockeys sounded like frat boys. Howard Stern came in and brought some new energy, but the music still wasn't getting it done.
They probably should have hung it up a while ago, but they stayed on, like Willie Mays finishing his glorious career with a pitiful stint with the Mets. (Mays later said "growing old is just a helpless hurt.")
Sam Kopper, the morning dj, used to close out his show with 2120 South Michigan Avenue by The Rolling Stones. The song title comes from the address of the old Chess Records studio in Chicago. Let's play that one and say good-bye.

You can read more here:

No comments:

Blog Archive