Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Winter's first glance

The strong northwest winds are shaking some flurries out of the sky. Other parts of the Northeast picked up measurable snow, including the first lake-effect snow in upstate New York. The chilly wind is also sneaking through gaps around the back door, a reminder that I need to stop at the hardware store to pick up a weatherstripping kit.
On mornings such as this, it's important to build a small, hot fire in the stove. The two parts of the house create a canyon effect that pushes air down the cold stove pipe; unless there's enough heat in the stove to push the exhaust up and out, we'll get a houseful of smoke. Once the stove pipe is warmed, the natural flow takes over.
 It seems a shame to leave a house that's so nice and warm so that I can rejoin the madness that is the eastward commute. It's part of the adventure. Today is the first day of a four-day technical documentation conference in Burlington MA. I'll take the familiar route - the Pike to 128 - today. I have my insulated coffee mug and I'm ready to go. Well, almost ready, but I'll go anyway.

No comments:

Blog Archive