Tuesday, October 28, 2008

If they made a machine that told you when you talked too much, would you listen to it?

I've mentioned it before, but it's worth repeating until I get it. Some years ago, I was talking with a friend, eagerly recounting how I had reached a new insight about my behavior. I often used the time that other person was talking to think about what I was going to say next rather than listening. As a result, I was apt to interrupt often and hijack the conversation thread back to what I wanted to say. I talked about this for several minutes until my friend had to leave. It wasn't until later that day that I realized that I hadn't asked her one question about how she was doing.

So, now The New York Times reports that a scientist has devleoped a machine that will tell you if you’re hogging the discussion.

What do you figure? When this gadget becomes available commercially, it won't be a matter of if I receive one of these; it'll be a matter of how many.

No comments:

Blog Archive