Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What was easy isn't so much so.

It seems as though there used to be some good freeware tools to let you create and publish web sites. As a part of the preparation for our Queen Lake Association annual meeting, I need to update our web site with information about the meeting agenda and a few other reference documents. I know how to edit HTML documents and publish with FTP commands, but it doesn't seem much easier than it was 15 years ago when I first created web sites.
I've used NVU, Amaya, and a few other tools (Emacs, the wrench for every nut), but none seem to have a good integrated editor and publishing solution. None has been satisfying. There are commercial tools that start at $100 and go up as fast as you can keep adding zeroes. It's doubly-discouraging when you find a long list of programs and then see that they're showcasing their 1998 favorites.
So, while I continue the search, I'll use Emacs and rsync to get today's work done.

No comments:

Blog Archive