Thursday, June 26, 2008

All-star? Nope. We're all stars.

We learn from this article, Beachwood cancels Rec League all-star baseball game, that all-star games should not be held for 9-12-year-olds because competitiveness at that age is not good for the kids.

Aw, c'mon. It's pretty clear, even at relatively early ages, that some kids are better athletes than others, just like there are better students, musicians, artists, and Wal-Mart greeters. By the time I was 11, I knew I couldn't hit the inside fastball and that I'd enjoy baseball a lot more by watching good players than by watching myself strike out. Providing a showcase where talented kids can play with and against other talented kids is a great way for those kids to improve. The other kids who didn't make the all-star team? Sorry. Maybe there's stuff to do in the a-v room.

via Fark.com

No comments:

Blog Archive