Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Department of why people hate computers

We have a new desktop system at home, a system that I plan to keep fairly clean and use only for household chores - photos, DVD-burning, home finances, stuff like that.

I'd been spoiled by working in a corporate networking environment where you could pretty much just plug a computer into a network port and you'd be connected to everything that you'd need. It's taken me about a week to get our old laptop to see shared folders and a printer on the new system (running Vista). It turned out that I needed to start two services - Workstation and Computer Browsing - on the laptop. Nowhere in the official docs did that appear. I stumbled on it in an IT forum and, even there, it was just an off-hand remark made by the poster on the way to another point.

And, here's what happened the first time that I opened Internet Explorer:

No comments:

Blog Archive