Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mmm, hospital coffee

The people in the hospital were very nice, anticipating aspects of the procedure that might uncomfortable, scary, confusing. Hospitals can be an unsettling place because, I think, the people who work there see the same things each day, while folks from the outside are there for something that is new and strange.

Sandra and I arrived shortly before 6:30. On Tuesday I'd received two phone calls from the hospital, one telling me to report to a room on the 3rd floor, the other to the 2nd. We arrived at the room on the 3rd where we were directed to the 2nd. Now we know.

The procedure itself was a swirl of activity and lights until it was lights out for me. It all felt like it went quickly, but it was a few hours before I was back in my room (which didn't look familiar at all), some time after 10:00. I declined the offer of breakfast, but did have a cup of coffee.

My only discomfort is a sore jaw because I was clenching my teeth so hard. A couple of Tylenol® takes care of that. There's some goop left over in my hair, a conductivity gel.

Sandra brought me home by noon. (I think. I'm having difficulty with time and dates. I keep thinking that today is Monday and, on this cloudy day, I can't guess the time; I have to check a clock.)

In all, I feel ok, tired, but ok.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Karl, So glad you got through it. As far as memory goes,perhaps it would have been good to forget the hospital coffee taste - who cares about the room? All seriousness aside...
We love and think of you and we know you will get through this and be better.

A,J and L Hakkarainen

Blog Archive