Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My job searches that are running in the background continue to be interesting. On Monday I received a call from an agency regarding a management position. After a bit of discussion, the recruiter set up a telephone interview for this afternoon. I asked the pay range for the position. I said a number. The recruiter said a number. The company's number was about 40% lower than my number. We concluded, with no ill will, that it wouldn't be practical to have the interview. Too bad. I had some new ideas to try in my interviews.

This morning's email, again looking for a technical documentation mangement position, suggests a senior secretary job in Rancho Cordova, California.

For our summer vacation last year, Sandra and I bought a jigsaw puzzle. We have a table at the camp that's well suited for such puzzle. Last year's selection, however, brought no joy. The pieces were cut in a way that they appeared as though they could fit in several different places. After a few frustrating evenings, we added the puzzle to the box of kindling for the wood stove. We probably could have used Glyphsaw Puzzle, brought to us by the folks at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC). A division of Xerox, PARC has developed many of the key concepts and components that we associate with computing and networks.

I stumbled toward the end of the work day yesterday. For those of you who care about such things, I was using FrameScript to extract section heads from a FrameMaker document. When I wrote the section heads to a file, they kept showing up out of sequence. I spent at least an hour at day's end, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Although I still don't completely understand why it works, if I scan the text flow, rather than the document, the section heads appear in the proper order.

No comments:

Blog Archive