Tuesday, December 21, 2004

On this first day of astronomical winter here in the northern hemisphere, I renew my gratitude that I don't work or live outside. It's cold, very cold. One time, many years ago, I was hitchhiking to Toronto (it seemed like a good idea at the time) and stood outside overnight on a night such as this in Syracuse, New York, waiting for a ride. Finally, as the day broke, it warmed up enough to snow. I was lucky that I was just cold. On a similarly cold night a few years later, a friend had a bit too much to drink and fell asleep in a snow bank. He lost most of the fingers on one hand to frostbite.

After getting off to such a cheery start, perhaps we should try again.

I had a nice, long phone conversation with my cousin last night. We hadn't talked for quite a while. She lives in central Florida. Her house was in the path of three hurricanes this year. The repairs on their roof were completed just a few weeks ago. I spent quite a bit of time with her and her sister when they were growing up in New Hampshire. We enjoy each other's company and say that we'll be in more regular contact. But, then, a few years slip past us so easily.

Yesterday afternoon I received an invitation for a job interview in downtown Boston. Unfortunately, the invitation was for today and I can't get away from work. I'm hoping that another day next week will work out.

No comments:

Blog Archive