Saturday, June 02, 2012

A rainy cove day

When I was a kid, the roof on the camp was simple, just sheathing covered with tar paper and then shingles. We could hear the rain on the roof.

My father had thought he would live at the camp year-round after he retired. He added a heating system, including the oft-mentioned oil tank. He added a layer of foam insulation to the ceiling and covered it with particle board (plywood made from pressed wood chips). It looked nice, was warmer, and took away the sound of the rain.

As a part of last year's renovations, we put on a metal roof. It looks great, will last our lifetimes, and has brought back the sound of the rain.

The temperature has dropped to the lower 50s. A cold northeastern wind pushes clumps of fog and rain across the lake.

I worked in the yard for a couple of hours yesterday and, by the forecast, that may be it for this weekend. We've enough dry wood to last a long time. Was it three years ago when we had that chilly, wet June? This week is setting up for something like that. I'm grateful for a lot of things. Now I'm grateful that I don't have to work outdoors in all kinds of weather. I know people who do and we are in their debt.

No comments:

Blog Archive