Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I hate computers, little ones even more

For a while, my phone (HTC Incredible) hasn't been able to keep a wireless connection when it goes into sleep mode. I've set the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never, but it's had no effect. When the screen goes dark, the WiFi connection drops out. If I ping the phone from another system, I can watch it go away.

I've tried various configurations on my routers with no consistent good result. Y'see, sometimes it works as intended. The screen goes to sleep, but the WiFi stays connected and I can listen to music or news or whatever. Most of the time for the past few weeks and constantly now, there's no joy.

I've done several reinstallations of the phone's operating system (Gingerbread, for those who care).

Now, sitting in NuCafe, it works fine. Now, using an open access point, the furshlugginer thing works fine. I have less of an idea why it works here than why it didn't at home.

4 comments:

Matt Brodeur said...

Do you have the version that came out in the 11/22 update? I've gotten the notice 3 or 4 times but can't get it to update. I had manually installed the 4.06.605.3 version. But the one being pushed now is 4.08.something. It says rebooting phone to install update then nothing happens. It doesn't reboot. And I look in the root directory of my SD card and there's no update there. Ugh!

roasterboy said...

I did receive the 11/22 update. I'm now running build 4.08.605.2. My WiFi problems have been consistently worse since then.
FWIW, I temporarily changed my home WiFi router to Open, but still cannot sustain a connection when the phone goes to sleep.

roasterboy said...

One last trick might have worked. I switched my router to a different channel. The WiFi connection on my phone has been on, even while the phone is sleeping, for about 20 minutes. It's too early to declare victory, but it seems promising.

Keeping WiFi awake on my Android phone « Hakkarainen Clipping Service said...

[...] other day, I described a problem I was having with my Android phone. When the phone went into sleep mode, the WiFi connection would [...]

Blog Archive