Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reflections on radio

Tim Wallace has posted a couple of interesting and fun pieces, Red Sox Radio Rivalry and More on Radio Maps, about Red Sox and Yankees radio broadcasts. The maps show the areas covered by stations that broadcast Red Sox and Yankees games.
via Red Sox Radio Rivalry | Bostonography (click to enbiggen)
I had an aunt and uncle who lived in St. Albans, in the upper-left corner of Vermont. Wallace's maps show how this area has broadcasts for both teams.  As a kid, I watched Red Sox in French from the Montreal TV stations. As I've mentioned in earlier notes in this journal,I was shocked to speechlessness when, one day, I stumbled upon a radio broadcast of a baseball game that was the Yankees and some other team that wasn't the Red Sox. I might have just as well picked up the signal from Radio Moscow or readings from Chairman Mao. Normal Americans wouldn't be listening to baseball games on the radio when the Red Sox weren't playing, would they?

No comments:

Blog Archive