Friday, July 22, 2011

Is is warmer in the summer or in the country?

A few thoughts on the current Ahotalypse:
  • Our improved long-range weather forecasting has made us into wimps. We've had several days to worry about how it was going to be, such that the heat began to feel oppressive even before it was.
  • We'll often hear people say that it's like a sauna. Remember that even though 90°F seems hot, a sauna is often 90°C. 
  • A dew point of 79°F is, however, unusual.
  • A time of summer heat reminds me of this story of my youth.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

The sauna comparison does not help, as I really can't deal with them!

Yesterday, I was discussing the weather with the guy who pumps my gas. He's from Egypt, and he says that he prefers the heat to the cold. What he said that I found interesting is that -- no matter what he does, how he dresses, what he drinks -- he can never get warm working outside in the cold. Which is the reverse (or the same, depending on how you look at it) of what I feel about the heat.

Karl Hakkarainen said...

I watched my grandfather and then father go through an interesting transformation. As they grew older, their tolerance for cold diminished dramatically. My grandfather wore long underwear year-round, even when working in the garden in weather such as this. I figure I'm about 20 years away from that point. For now, I much prefer the colder weather. I'll gladly trade 35F for today's 35C.

elmparkblogger said...

I think it's always warmer in the city.

City has rules, restrictions and regulations like:

"Wear shirts and shoes before entering"

and unposted rules calling for etiquette and decorum

And smog, traffic jams and sweaty people.

The country has less rules, men can take their shirts off and if there is a clean place to swim, just go for it.

If yu try to swim in a city's reflecting pool, you either get arrested or mistaken for F. Scott Fitzgerald.

elmparkblogger

Arnold said...

My thought in response to Nicole and her Egyptian gas jockey is that you can always add clothing if you're too cold, but there's only so much clothing you can take off if you're hot.

Blog Archive