Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Is Skype+Kinect magic worth $8B?

OK, this is a deal that I just don't understand. Microsoft is buying Skype for $8B. (At this writing, the deal hasn't been announced, so the purchase price is still speculative. I've seen the deal priced at up to $8.5B.)
Time was, $8B was real money. Now, it seems to be enough to say "Hey, we can still get headlines." Microsoft is trying to fend off investor and analyst complaints that it's stalled. A few months ago, it all but bought Nokia, paying the Finnish handset maker to come to its party.
Maybe it's a preemptive to keep Skype away from Facebook. Such a move might make sense if Microsoft had a social software strategy. Instead, it could wind up like Groove.
The only clever idea I've seen so far is that adding Microsoft's motion-detector game gadget Kinect to Skype would make some fun games and interactive communications. It could be cool, even magical.
If it was my money and I was looking for magic, I'd reopen Jack's Joke Shop and pocket the rest of the money.

No comments:

Blog Archive