Saturday, March 05, 2011

Facebook Comments - I'm my own Grandpa

The hoped-for grand unification theory for comments still eludes us. Here's what I've found based on a few tests. (Thanks, MattB, for your help.)
  • I have my blog feed sent to Facebook via the Facebook Notes feature. So, each new blog post shows up as a complete item on my Facebook wall.
  • When a reader comments on the post as it appears on www.roasterboy.com, the comments appear with the post and on my Facebook wall. There may be a time delay of a few minutes or more before the comments appear in both places. 
  • Comments made in the comment thread on Facebook eventually appear on the original post as well, although that synchronization can take a bit longer.
  • None of these comments is connected to the Notes item. 
  • A link to the original blog post is not displayed on my Facebook wall. So, friends would only see the comments. They'd not see the original post unless they clicked on a link the Facebook comment thread. 
Not only that, but it's easy to get caught up in a vortex of integration. For example, when I view my blog post, as displayed on Facebook, I'm given the option to share the item on Facebook.

Blog Archive