Friday, January 21, 2011

Not another snow post

Here's the thing: I have three boxes of cables, cords, power supplies, and adapters in a cupboard in the cellar. There are some other stray items because they really should stay with their parent gadgets. That cheapo DVD player, for example, deserves its own video and audio cable set. And that scanner from two thousand-ought-three that I only use when I have to scan 35mm slides, well, it needs its power cord and USB cable.
Mostly, though, all of the cords are in those three boxes. Except for the spare USB cables that I keep in my briefcase, the ones for my phone and for my iPod. But, anyway, as I was saying, I've got all of this stuff and when I needed a 3.5mm audio cable so that I could connect my phone to a desktop radio so that I could have better sound for Internet radio stations, I went looking for said 3.5mm and couldn't find it.
It's there. I know it's there because I remember having one for my office back in 2002. Even at Walmart, you have to pay $10 because they don't have the cheap ones. A slew of Internet outlets will sell me one for less than the price of the postage, but that would take days to arrive.
As a result, for this snow day, I'm going to bring all three boxes from the cellar, spread out all of the stuff, toss some of the many duplicates, and find that audio cable.
I probably won't throw out that Intel audio player with 256MB of memory, enough for four albums which was enough for the red-eye from California. And that powered FM antenna that never did much good; it probably should go, but it might come in handy. You get the idea. I'll give it my best, though, and try to get the three boxes o' stuff down to two, never forgetting the goal of finding the blessed 3.5mm cable.

No comments:

Blog Archive