Tuesday, October 26, 2010

If voting was like tipping

When I go to a restaurant, I plan to leave a 20% tip because 1) these folks work hard and 2) many are paid below minimum wage with the expectation that tips will bring them up to a decent income, and 3) the math is easier.
There are rare times when I'll leave less than 20%. Sometimes, the service is egregiously bad and not related to the work of the folks in the back room. Most times, however, I wind up reducing the tip if I have to wait to pay the bill. The going rate is roughly 1% for every two minutes I have to wait beyond some reasonable amount. I want to leave and get on with my life.
Now, if I had my choice, I'd like something similar with voting. In this instance, the more that the candidates keep talking, the less enthused I am about voting for them. Over the past few weeks, I've talked with, read about, or viewed quite a few candidates. They've been whining about how they've been treated unfairly by people whom they've helped. They've focused on narrow points of legality; not doing something that's illegal doesn't mean that you've done something good. In an effort to highlight their opponents' failings, they bring discredit to themselves.
Witness Lew Evangelidis's insert in today's Telegram. While there are legitimate reasons for campaigning again Guy Glodis's political system or Tom Foley's state police pension, this flier just plain annoying.

Look, Foley's pension may not seem right, but it is legal and not an abuse of the system. Until the public employee pension system is changed, which is not under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff, disabled police officers can seek employment.
I like Lew. I think that he's done a good job as our rep and would be a good sheriff. At least I thought so until this morning. More stuff like this will have me shopping elsewhere.

No comments:

Blog Archive