Saturday, July 17, 2010

More on work

"Do you work for Intel?" he asked me. The young man works at a large grocery store, helping the folks who are using the self-service check-out stations.
I glanced down at my shirt pocket. "This? No, I got this shirt at Morgan Memorial." I paused. "I do work with computers, though."
"I do, too," he said, eagerly, waving his hand in a broad arc to indicate the check-out stations. "These are all computers." He said most of the problems he'd encountered were related to power, but the diagnostics in the registers were pretty good.
We talked a bit about the user interface, the need for the barcode scanner to be clean, and the conveyor belt free of dirt. "These things are running Windows XP," he said, pointing to the cabinet below the register. "They have a keyboard. I can get onto the Internet."
"Cool," I said, watching the honeydew melons spin and tumble down the belt and into the tomatoes.
It's good when work is more than something you get through in order to get money, when work gets you to think about more than just what you're doing, and when you're a person who wants to talk with other people about things of interest.

No comments:

Blog Archive