Sunday, April 25, 2010

Public accountability of the private kind

In case you haven't already figured it out, on any given day, we get a lot less done than we've planned, which is a lot less than we want to do, which is either a whole lot more or a whole lot less than what we should do.
This can be problematic for someone such as yours truly who writes in a public venue. I have uncompleted tasks that I do for pay, for no pay, for service, and for the honor of being among wonderful family and friends. Some might wonder, with all of these things still undone, why I spend time writing about not getting stuff done instead of, um, getting stuff done.
You know, I don't know. There are some explanations, but no real excuses.
  • The thing that I have to do is more complex and takes more time to get started than I have right now.
  • The thing is harder to do than I thought.
  • My notes for what I have to do are upstairs/downstairs/in that stack of papers that has another set of mouse traps in it.
  • I'm easily distracted.
  • I'm not always good at doing the important stuff first. 
It's a fact of life that there's always something more important to do than what you're doing. Think about that too long and you won't even get the time-wasters done.

No comments:

Blog Archive