Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring break

With the snow gone and the trees still months away from leaving, the train sounds very loud as it rumbles along Main Street just a half-mile away.
On Tuesday morning, the Canada geese arrived, honking over our back yard as they banked a turn toward the small pond at the bottom of the hill. They landed on a neighbor's lawn. While on my way to school on Tuesday morning, I saw them march across the road and onto the top.
So far, I'm doing well in the course, Legal Research and Writing. My professor, Jim Korman, J.D., is one of the best. He knows his stuff and calibrates his teaching techniques to the abilities and circumstances of his students. (Most students at community colleges have complicated lives outside of school.)
After class on Thursday, Jim and I discussed the courses that I would need to complete the requirements for a paralegal degree. I brought transcripts that covered my 40+ years of college attendance. (I wasn't able to bring a copy of my transcript from my time at the Mount in the 70s because that was still on microfilm; I've made the request for the transcript and it'll be ready in a week.)
It looks as though I'll need three or, perhaps, four courses covering litigation, real estate, and family law, along with a seminar that gets us ready to do real work as paralegals.
Oh, and one more thing. I'll have to take gym.
They don't call it gym, but it's gym.
My mother went back to college in her 30s. She had to suit up in gym clothes and play volleyball with the 19-year-olds.
I'm not in my 30s. I'm ready for 
SilverSneakers®

No comments:

Blog Archive