Saturday, February 27, 2010

It followed me home. Can I keep it?

Last Saturday we happened upon an indoor fleamarket where, among a industrial garage bay full of stuff, I found an old Compaq Presario. The box didn't have a price tag on it and the woman running the market didn't have an idea on a price. So, for $20, I brought home something that I barely need.
It turned out to have a working copy of Windows XP on it. The young woman who'd previously owned the system didn't leave anything of concern on it, except for a couple of pictures that she'd likely not want to show to her mother or grandchildren. (BTW, if you have physical access to a system, it's trivial to find out what's on it, even if the account is password protected.)
That XP worked at all is remarkable because this system has 186MB of memory. The disk is 40GB, suprisingly large for a low-cost machine and plenty of room to install Linux on a separate partition.
The BIOS was updated in 2000 and I've not been able to find a later version. Because some of the controllers were old, standard installations didn't work well; even the live CD balked. I was able to install a minimal Ubuntu server configuration and load the rest of modules over the network. Within a half hour, I had a working home web server.
Now that the system is operational, I turn off the monitor and just let it run quietly amid the other clutter in the office.
It's not quite as old as the one that Donald Knuth first used or even the ones that the Secret Service has in their employ, but it's old.
Here's Dilbert from the date of the BIOS:
Dilbert.com

No comments:

Blog Archive